Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2000, week 2)Back to main SOCREF-L pageJoin or leave SOCREF-LReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Thu, 12 Oct 2000 07:35:39 -0400
Sender:       Discussion of Topics for Soccer Referees <[log in to unmask]>
From:         Michael Cotleur <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Police - higher authority than the CR?
Comments: To: [log in to unmask]

Huh. If there was a "crime," then why would the cops refuse to speak to the sole impartial witness to the crime? Something stinks about this. Meanwhile, I would have Immediately Terminated the game once the cops refuses to allow # 1 to continue. They effectively (thru # 12's parents?) upgraded your Caution to a Red Card - and Nobody can do that in your game, during your game (not even you), once play has restarted. Michael Cotleur >>> [log in to unmask] 10/12/00 01:10AM >>> This is what happened last weekend: U15 boys. 39th minute of a fairly uneventful first half. White #1 got tangled with #12 of blue at midfield, lost the ball, got frustrated, so grabbed number #12 and pushed him to the ground. I stopped the game and cautioned #1. At the time of the foul and based on what I saw I felt a caution was sufficient. Meanwhile, #12 was on the ground and seemed to be hurt. I called the coach over, whistled to end the first half and moved off the field with the ref team. Minutes later a parent from blue team informed us that player #12 was hurt and that an ambulance had been called. The ambulance arrived shortly thereafter and player was taken away. We began second half; 16 minute later AR1 called me over and I saw two policemen on the side line. It turned out that somebody on the blue team, upset at the incident, had called the police. I went over to AR1 side; the policemen informed me that they were there "to investigate a crime" and needed to talk to number #1. I said something about the fact that this is a sporting event, etc. But they said either tell him (#1 white) to come here or we will come on the field to take him. I was frankly not prepared for such a turn of events and was taken aback. The police said in a loud voice that they wanted to see #1 and started to come on the field. I felt I had no choice but to have #1 come to them. #1, accompanied by his parents, went with policemen. I tried to restart the game but the white coach pulled his players off the field and did not want to continue the game. I informed the other coach. The teams went thru a civil handshake and this bizarre game was terminated. There are a few questions I would like to put to the list. The main question for now is whether police has the authority to interfere with a sporting event in the manner stated above. If not, how should I have handled this incident? I know in hindsight I should have tried to convince them, maybe even recruiting the coaches for this purpose, to wait until the game was over, etc. However, I am not sure if they (the police) were interested in waiting. Thanks for your comments. Reza Pazirandeh