Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2000, week 2)Back to main SOCREF-L pageJoin or leave SOCREF-LReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Thu, 12 Oct 2000 11:16:55 -0400
Sender:       Discussion of Topics for Soccer Referees <[log in to unmask]>
From:         Jim Mantle <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Offside - Advantage - Handling

----- Original Message ----- From: "Guy" <[log in to unmask]> > Tom Stagliano wrote: > > > > > moment that ball is last touched or played by a team mate) but we call the > > infraction when a player "in an offside position at the moment...." > > interferes with play or an opponent or gains an advantage. > > > Therefore, if a shot is taken on goal, and a player is in an offside > > > position, we allow play to continue if the player is not interfering. > > However, if the ball rebounds from the goal post or cross bar out to this > > player (who was in an offside position when ......) we then call the > > infraction, and we typically have the IFK at the position of the player when > > he became Involved..... > > > > Stag, I disagree with this statement. The offside infraction occurred at the > moment the ball is played by a team-mate No it didn't. "Offside position" was established at the moment that the team-mate played the ball. Nothing more. And offside position is, in itself, not an infraction. We must wait for the "offside position" to be converted into "offside" - and that never happened. Sometimes the infraction doesn't happen because a defender blocks the ball from ever coming through. Sometimes it's because of a whistle (or flag) due to an intervening foul - the ball physically may have made it through, but it is unplayable (pending a restart) due to the whistle. Sometimes the ball comes through but there is no active involvement. The confusion, I think, is due to placement if "offside position" is converted to "offside" - the ball is placed at the position of the offside player at the moment that it was established that he was in an offside position. This is the placement if it is later found to be an infraction, but it is not the time of the infraction itself - indeed, there may never be an infraction. Jim