Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2001, week 2)Back to main SOCREF-L pageJoin or leave SOCREF-LReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Sat, 13 Jan 2001 07:58:25 -0500
Sender:       Discussion of Topics for Soccer Referees <[log in to unmask]>
From:         Ralph Bigio <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: why upgrade? how do I know :-).... more

On Sat, 13 Jan 2001 02:01:31 -0500, [log in to unmask] wrote: >>I was very happy reaching grade 05 (and an invitation to 04) >>but, when happiness started going down, I went back to 08... >>where I am happy .... again :-) >>DA > > >Going up in grade comes with a price. >I got tired of my state telling me I was a >role model... refs look up to me;;; so I should *behave* and >do things that way... or this but not that way! gimme a break :-) >Well, I could not satisfy their standards... >I did not want to change my style. >I was very happy with the way I am. And I am not a role >model. Why should you look up to a role model. You >should be all you can be. You do not join the Army to be a >Patton, a Westmorland, etc... you join the Army to be the >best you can be... why not much better than Patton, DeGaule >or anygeneral else. > >DA David: I agree with you in one respect - if you're not happy doing what you're doing, do something about it. A few days ago someone posted a "Thought for the day" he encountered in his readings. Here's one I encountered yesterday - "if you keep doing what you're doing, you will keep getting what you're getting". But I'm not sure about your feelings on role models. I agree that you do not join the army to become a Patton, but Patton's achievements (and personality? and demeanor?) undoubtedly inspired many soldiers to be the best they could be. Without role models how much inspiration would there be? You said going up in grade comes with a price. So does getting good at what you do. I don't think you can escape being a role model - especially if you are good at what you do. You aren't working in a vacuum. No-one needs your permission to use you as a role model. Someone somewhere will watch you work a game, will admire what you do, and will want to emulate you regardless of your grade. The only way you can avoid being a role model is to be a bad referee. And even then you would become a negative role model. So now you are a happy Grade 8 role model! :-) Ralph