Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2001, week 2)Back to main SOCREF-L pageJoin or leave SOCREF-LReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Mon, 15 Jan 2001 00:35:11 -0500
Sender:       Discussion of Topics for Soccer Referees <[log in to unmask]>
From:         [log in to unmask]
Subject:      Re: why upgrade? how do I know :-).... more

At 07:58 AM 1/13/01 -0500, R Bigio wrote: >I agree that you do not join the army to become a Patton, but >Patton's achievements (and personality? and demeanor?) undoubtedly inspired >many soldiers to be the best they could be. Without role models how much >inspiration would there be? My philosophy of building effective leadership character in people is to refrain them from looking up to anybody as a role model. Looking up to a role model will limit your aspiration to getting as close as possible to your role model..... but not surpassing him/her. I spoke to a Daytona Beach basketball player who wanted to be like Michael Jordan. I told him: "why not work on being a much better player than Michael Jordan." +=+=+=+=+=+=+=+= The state badge comes with criteria that *need* to be met and maintained. If one can not meet and or maintain those criteria, one needs not to carry the state badge. Of course, this is not the case in most of us :-) Many state referees want the 04 badge for reasons other than working the professional game. This approach gave the national badge a lesser and lesser glamour and prestige... which is disappointing young and aspire-to-be-professional referees. DA