Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2001, week 2)Back to main SOCREF-L pageJoin or leave SOCREF-LReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Wed, 11 Apr 2001 08:23:52 -0500
Sender:       Discussion of Topics for Soccer Referees <[log in to unmask]>
From:         Ivan Mann <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: O Canada ... the frozen north (unserious) (now positively
              flippant)

This must be due to the Norwegian influence, since Canada is so close to Lake Woebegone. I assume that all Canadian soccer players are above average? Ivan Mann >We Canadians are so polite that we apologize to inanimate objects when we >bump into them. At a soccer match you'll tend to see rows of parents >sitting >quietly approximately 5 meters from the touch line (space allowing), >applauding good play by members of either team, and murmuring admiration, >agreement and praise for each call by the refereeing team. Coaches do their >player development at practices, and tend to sit in lawn chairs while >managing substitutions and making notes about areas of focus at future >practices. Players stay in the team area, and don't go visit mommy for a >drink of water or to pet the family dog. The pitch is even, the nets have >no >holes in them, and the mosquitos - well, we don't have any. > >In fact, about the only way you'll provoke an assembly of Canadian fans to >uncontrollable rage is to suggest that the swill spewed forth from certain >American factories might be called beer. That stuff is like having sex in a >canoe. > >Like, how's it goin, eh? Pass the back bacon (and the flameproof kit). > >Jim _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com