Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2001, week 3)Back to main SOCREF-L pageJoin or leave SOCREF-LReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Wed, 16 May 2001 09:56:50 -0700
Sender:       Discussion of Topics for Soccer Referees <[log in to unmask]>
From:         "Hajj Umar A. Hassan" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Here is a proved idea Re: How do they learn???

Imagine that the youth referee, regardless of tribe (Ute or Mascogo or Apache), was considered by all who knew him/her to be a very poor player. Would this help or hinder him/her from being a good referee? Is it possible that the players would respect him/her more or less than if they didn't know him/her from the other settlers? I remember how difficult it was for rookie policemen who had been on the short end of bullying in the beighborhood when they returned to their communities with badges and guns: they were generally perceived as official bullies (and perhaps justifiably so) while those who had been regulars didn't have that perception problem. ----- Original Message ----- From: "kevin lavelle" <[log in to unmask]> To: <[log in to unmask]> Sent: Wednesday, May 16, 2001 9:28 AM Subject: Re: Here is a proved idea Re: How do they learn??? > Chad, > I agree with your three requirements for young referees. > I would like to add a fourth requirement. > > 4)Playing experience. I think that the only thing that got me through some > games when I was a ute was that I had committed every foul in the book and > thus knew all the little "tricks". It is one of those "been there, done > that" sort of things. Now someone is going to reply that it is impossible to > mandate all referees be players first, but man it helps espicially when the > younger referees need all the help that they can get. Plus it doesnt hurt to > already be established in our little soccer community rather than to be a > stranger. It also helps when you first walk on the field as a ref someone > goes "Isnt he the goalie for the highschool"? or "He plays for Whatever > Univ." > > Just a thought > YMMY > -Kevin > EPA > > > >From: Chad Henson <[log in to unmask]> > >Reply-To: [log in to unmask] > >To: [log in to unmask] > >Subject: Re: Here is a proved idea Re: How do they learn??? > >Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 09:03:29 -0700 > > > >For young refs to have confidence, they (we) have to know 3 things: > > > >1. That they have the authourity. > >2. That they will be backed up by other refs and the State Association. > >3. That others are going thru the same thing and having the guts to do > >something about it shows character - not weakness. > > > >Most know #1, especially after they see someone else deal with the problem. > >I think that the assignors tendency to appease the coaches keeps #2 from > >being a reality. And the humiliation attached to a confrontation with a > >coach or calling the referee over and forcing one will, at a younger level, > >keep that referee from wanting to deal with it. > > > > > > > > > > > >_______________________________________________________ > >Send a cool gift with your E-Card > >http://www.bluemountain.com/giftcenter/ > > _________________________________________________________________ > Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com