Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2001, week 3)Back to main SOCREF-L pageJoin or leave SOCREF-LReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Wed, 16 May 2001 14:28:41 -0400
Sender:       Discussion of Topics for Soccer Referees <[log in to unmask]>
From:         [log in to unmask]
Subject:      Re: Here is a proved idea Re: How do they learn???

Thanks for putting these here, Chad. We have tried to instill in our youth referees that not only will our association board back them, but we will help them write the paperwork properly and stand with them at any D&P hearing that comes up. We have even represented the 13 yo girl who was so intimidated that she wouldn't go. I have asked for write-ups on coaches and have even offered to write what they dictate to me. Most just don't want to bother. And the next week, when one of their friends goes through the same thing with the same coach because they didn't have the guts to do something, I make sure that they know who their friends are. We can't do it alone though. I'd appreciate any thoughts or tricks you (or anyone else) have for getting this message across and getting the kids involved in their own well being. Jay in Clear Lake City Texas President, Bay Area Soccer Referee Association [log in to unmask] wrote: > For young refs to have confidence, they (we) have to know 3 things: 1. That they have the authourity. 2. That they will be backed up by other refs and the State Association. 3. That others are going thru the same thing and having the guts to do something about it shows character - not weakness. Most know #1, especially after they see someone else deal with the problem. I think that the assignors tendency to appease the coaches keeps #2 from being a reality. And the humiliation attached to a confrontation with a coach or calling the referee over and forcing one will, at a younger level, keep that referee from wanting to deal with it. _______________________________________________________ Send a cool gift with your E-Card http://www.bluemountain.com/giftcenter/