Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2001, week 3)Back to main SOCREF-L pageJoin or leave SOCREF-LReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Thu, 20 Sep 2001 08:01:13 EDT
Sender:       Discussion of Topics for Soccer Referees <[log in to unmask]>
From:         [log in to unmask]
Subject:      Re: Turbans in High School
Comments: To: [log in to unmask]

In a message dated 9/19/01 7:45:54 PM Eastern Daylight Time, [log in to unmask] writes: > I am told > by this player's mother that he must wear the turban for religious reasons. > Aside from the difficulty that the knot presents in heading the ball, the > National Federation of High School Athletic Associations has a rule that > would seem to make the turban an illegal piece of equipment. Actually, the NF specifically PERMITS religious items including jewelry, which must be taped to the player's body. We have been told we must allow Seiks to carry there ceremonial knives and allow those whose religions require various forms of hair cover to wear it during games so long as it is not dangerous. If dangerous, and they can find a way to make it not dangerous (such as taping over) we must permit it. I do find that a lot of players with "religious" wear are willing to remove it if asked, however. Regards Jim MacQueen Akron, OH