Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2001, week 4)Back to main SOCREF-L pageJoin or leave SOCREF-LReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Thu, 27 Sep 2001 09:05:00 -0500
Sender:       Discussion of Topics for Soccer Referees <[log in to unmask]>
From:         AMPM <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Goalkeeper - Dangerous Play

Hmm. Watching basketball makes one believe Jeff. Those guys get a lotta air, and they always lead with a high knee. Michelle ----- Original Message ----- From: Mike Moore <[log in to unmask]> To: <[log in to unmask]> Sent: Wednesday, September 26, 2001 11:59 AM Subject: Re: Goalkeeper - Dangerous Play > Jeff Benjamin writes: > > > > > He reaches up to get the ball, doesn't even have to jump. There's an > > > attacker charging for the ball. Not much chance he's going to get it > > > before the keeper does. So the keeper does what all keepers seem to do > > > nowadays, whether necessary or not he brings one knee up high into his > > > chest. Why? > > > > As a goalkeeper and keeper coach, I can tell you the knee is used for > > two reasons: one, to provide extra height on the jump, and two, to > > provide additional protection while in the air and keep vital parts from > > being exposed. I train my keepers to bring up the knee closest to the > > pressure, but with the kneecap away from that pressure a bit so the > > thigh is actually providing the main part of the "fender". > > > > I also coach them that if I am wearing the referee's jersey and believe they > > are using that knee as a weapon, I will card them. :-) > > > > This technique is used for going after high balls. We want the keeper to > > always attack the ball, so if it's over his head, I wouldn't fault him for > > getting a little extra height to make sure of the catch. If the ball is > > head height or lower, the preferred technique is to make the catch on > > the run and move away from the attacking pressure, or get low and use the > > shoulder and body weight to shield against a collision. > > (If you want to know more about goalkeeping technique, see my goalkeeper > > coaching site at <http://www.frii.com/~benji/goalkeeping>.) > > > > > In this case, it doesn't sound like it was necessary to bring the knee up, > > but it also doesn't sound like the keeper was attempting to injure the > > attacker. Intimidation? Perhaps. Automatic card for USB? Probably not, > > > > On a side note, just as players can learn and understand the game better > > by learning to be a referee, referees and do the same by playing or at > > least learning more about playing so they understand *why* players do > > certain things. This is especially true of goalkeeping - much of the > > technique I teach is about trying to keep the goalkeeper's person safe, > > not just keeping the ball out of the net. The knee up is a commonly > > misunderstood technique. > > > > I'm afraid that I don't buy the argument about the raised knee giving > extra height! > > If it were the case, then surely we would see the technique used in > other sports, but I have never seen anybody in rugby, cricket, > baseball or any variety of american football ever use it when > jumping high to catch a ball. > > I am sure that it is used purely for self defence. Since a keeper is > exposed to injury when jumping with hands up high, I usually have no > problems with the technique. I have seen cases where the keeper puts > his leg straight out, with cleats showing. If there is nobody else > around, then you can usually get then to quit with a stern warning. > > Mike Moore.