Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2001, week 1)Back to main SOCREF-L pageJoin or leave SOCREF-LReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Tue, 4 Dec 2001 16:23:33 -0500
Sender:       Discussion of Topics for Soccer Referees <[log in to unmask]>
From:         Fred Speirs <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Relative veteran "wrong answer" about offside

This sent me back to the rule book. ARs are not even mentioned in the Procedures for KFTPM, other than once as collective "match officials". AR is goal judge only and CR covers everything else including movement off the line, unless otherwise arranged. That's why he is where he is in the associated diagram, with the now rediscovered Assistant Referees. No signal is mentioned, so it is either unnecessary or prearranged. Fred Jim Geissman wrote: > > p.s. And how come no one answered the request for correct signal for > goal/no > > goal by the AR in KFTPM? This is also something I have actually > encountered > > (as opposed to 2 remaining players in KFTPM.) I guess it must be winter. > > Saying "Yes, that was a goal," works pretty well. > There are more options if the ball is saved. There's > whatever "secret" signal you have been using (such as > show a palm), and that can be beefed up with a brisk > shake of the head. Were you thinking of something > involving the flag? ;-) I would reserve the flag > for keeper movement requiring a retake of a saved > shot, if the CR has asked me to make that call (i.e., > if the CR is blind or doesn't like to make unpopular > calls). > > Once I was CR for maybe it was U10, and a nice high, > long shot went over the keeper and into the goal, > and right out under the bottom of the net. Not only > did the ball leave the goal, but for some reason, > none of the assembled parents had seen it go in nor > had seen my signal. The players didn't recognize what > had happened, either. After a bit of silence when I > realized they didn't know what had happened, I put > on my best loud public address voice and said, "That > was a goal!" and suddenly, more than five seconds > after the score, the spectators cheered wildly and > the players started celebrating!