Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2003, week 1)Back to main SOCREF-L pageJoin or leave SOCREF-LReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Tue, 7 Jan 2003 17:42:26 -0800
Sender:       Discussion of Topics for Soccer Referees <[log in to unmask]>
From:         The Geissmans <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: People Management - Ref Makes Mistake

Here's another thought experiment: You are IFAB. You are writing the bit of the law about cautions and send offs. Would you also add a bullet that says that a referee cannot change such a decision even if it was made in error? There are certainly arguments for sticking with a judgement call that a player's actions warrants a caution or send off, but would you make a similar point in LOTG about referee bookkeeping decisions? Why is this in LOTG? Presumably to restrict unscrupulous refs from changing decisons as a result of being paid off. So it might make sense to put that in LOTG (thereby applying to all uncertified and certified refs), but allow organizations like USSF to modify it for their certified members -- who by definition are not unscrupulous, right? If Kevin Stott referees your team's U16 game and afterwards reports to your team and the league that he's sorry, he sent #3 off in error, because the caution leading to the send off was not his second one, what do you think the league would do? At 06:58 PM 01/07/2003 -0500, Mike Young wrote: >If this was noticed at halftime I would go to both teams and tell them that >the card had been shown in error, that I could not now change it since play >had restarted after the card was shown, and that I would be putting that in >my game report for the league to deal with -- no promises or predictions. >Then I would hope that my performance otherwise in the game would allow the >players to give me a break on this one...