Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2003, week 3)Back to main SOCREF-L pageJoin or leave SOCREF-LReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Wed, 16 Apr 2003 12:10:30 -0400
Sender:       Discussion of Topics for Soccer Referees <[log in to unmask]>
From:         Steve G <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Conferring with AR for show

On Tue, 15 Apr 2003 20:36:01 -0400, Gary Voshol <[log in to unmask]> wrote: >> Do you ever backpedal over to your AR to confer just for show - when you >> already know the answer? > >Two examples, both in *youth rec* games, the first a confession. At more >advanced levels, YMMV. <snip> A third example of consulting your AR for show, and a bit droll at that. Our AYSO Region Referee Administrator was being assessed for a badge upgrade in a BU14 All-Star game. I was senior AR. Play was intense, and there were a good number of calls/non-calls that allowed the assessor to judge whether the assessee knew his stuff. The CR was doing great in my estimation. Orange team comes on the attack, and from about 20 yards out on the my side of the pitch, the attacker takes a shot. The defender in Red charges but is a ways away and puts his hand up to block the shot in the PA, an obvious DOGSO-handling in my estimation, with a PK restart. I look to the CR who is in the proper position but possibly a bit shielded from view by the players in between him and the offender, and since he stands about 5'7", I signal the offense. The CR whistles and comes toward me, and since this is an intense game in which he is being assessed, I am prepared to explain quickly what I saw so that the correct call can be made. Rather than make a show of the confirming the sendoff, however, the CR comes close to me while I am watching the pitch and with his back to the field and the assessor says in a quiet voice, "Good call, Steve. Can I borrow your cards? I forgot mine!" I surreptitiously slipped my cards to him, we exchanged a few more words and nods and he sent the offender off as we took up positions for the PK. The assessor was never the wiser, and the CR passed his assessment. Afterwards, he told me, "I'll never forget my cards again!" Steve Garcia South Pasadena, CA