Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2003, week 4)Back to main SOCREF-L pageJoin or leave SOCREF-LReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:   Sun, 27 Jul 2003 21:48:05 -0700
Sender:   Discussion of Topics for Soccer Referees <[log in to unmask]>
From:   Reza Pazirandeh <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:   Re: Re Another Offside Call

Lee Jordan wrote:

> oh geez. someone have Giovanni's old posting? > > the pass is made forward. there are two players in an offside position, > say 15 yards past the defenders who are at the half line. an onside > player runs through to get the ball. > > AFTER the onside player passes them the offside players follow. they are > ahead of the defenders. there is now a three on keeper situation. > > unless my memory is incorrect (easily a possibility) Giovanni said that > one should whistle the offside for this. by being in an offside position > the two attackers took advantage of their position to create a three > person attack, not the one on keeper that would happen legally. > > david, don't you remember this thread? I believe that it happened around > 1997. :-)

Lee,

A situation came up in a game I was doing which I believe had the same elements of the situation you have described. I wrote to JA about it. The short answer was "No" offside. Here is Q/A emails. Let me know if you think this is substantially different from your scenario and if so in what fundamental way. Reza. ================ Subject: Re: offside question Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2003 06:57:19 -0400 From: Jim Allen <[log in to unmask]> To: Reza Pazirandeh <[log in to unmask]>

>Jim, > >A situation similar to the one below came up in a game I was doing this last >weekend which made me wonder: > >A white player is in offside position by about 10 yards - 15 yards >from halfway >line and about 20 yards from the touch line. His teammate, on the >other side of >field, is on side and receives a thru ball which he controls and >continues a fast >attack toward the opponent's goal. The offside player (which in my >opinion is no >longer offside because his on-side teammate is now in full control >of the ball) >starts running upfield with defenders chasing him. The attacker >with the ball is >about 8 yards from the goal to the left of the goal and has pulled the keeper >toward him. At this point, the attacker passes the ball back up to >the previously >offside player who is now about 15 yards from the goal still ahead >of defenders. He >receives the ball, shoots and misses. > >Even though he was away from active area of play and did not receive >the initial >pass when he was in the offside position, the offside player, >nonetheless, seemed >to have gained an advantage from being there since the defenders had >left him alone >and once his teammate got the ball was able to support the attack with nobody >defending him. > >I wondered about the fairness of this situation. > >Thanks, >Reza.

Life is hard, Reza, but if the white player who was in the offside position earlier and did not receive the ball then later receives the ball when he is BEHIND the ball, no matter where the defenders are, is not offside. If he is ahead of the ball at the moment of the pass, then obviously he is offside.

Jim