Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2003, week 4)Back to main SOCREF-L pageJoin or leave SOCREF-LReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Thu, 24 Jul 2003 04:55:47 -0400
Sender:       Discussion of Topics for Soccer Referees <[log in to unmask]>
From:         Jim Gordon <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: From Quick To Ceremonial

Dennis Wickham asked: >> ... So, how does the injured team get both of its rights: >> a quick kick AND ten yards? which elicited a comment about > ... the myth that the atackers have a RIGHT to a quick FK. Actually, the right is to play the game without being fouled. And if that right is taken away, the SOTG's ideal is that the victims should be able to put the ball back into play under conditions that are as close as possible to the situation that existed when they were fouled. The concept of the quick free kick starts from the offended team's power/right to ignore the at-least-10-yards requirement if it benefits them. The quick free kick is a generally-recognized right, and the only way I would ever take that right away is because I'm going to give the victims an even greater measure of justice. (Note the implication of the quick restart's importance in the guidance that says we might be unable to administer a card because the offended team has taken a quick restart.) As for the idea that we shouldn't distract the defenders by telling them to move back -- I think the discussion misses something. The time for "wall management" is BEFORE the wall is set up, and before the ball is placed and the kicker is ready. Once the wall is set and the kicker is prepared to start, THEN (as Jim Allen guides us) the defenders -- indeed, all the players -- have a right not to be distracted by the referee. And I urge referees to consider, what advantage do we give the rest of the defending team while we're managing their wall? If I have to hold up a restart for wall management, I also have time to record a caution for FRD. As Larry Huey lamented, I still believe an ounce of prevention, administered early while the situation is still fluid, is worth a pound of yellow plastic and the deformation of the game with ceremonial restarts. Regards, Jim Gordon