Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2003, week 4)Back to main SOCREF-L pageJoin or leave SOCREF-LReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Thu, 28 Aug 2003 12:10:06 -0500
Sender:       Discussion of Topics for Soccer Referees <[log in to unmask]>
From:         Glenn Sogge <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Offside Minutiae
Comments: To: Jeff Caminsky <[log in to unmask]>

Jeff -- "... D6 is pressured sufficiently from behind so that he cannot settle the ball...and, instead, ...." seems to be a pretty clear case of "interfering with a player" and/or "influencing play". Was this "pressured sufficiently" judgement made by the CR, the AR, or both? 1. The CR could make this call alone (either OS or non-OS) if in position to properly detect the OSP (which we will assume is the case :-) and can evaluate the consequence of the pressure 2. The CR could make the call of OS or no-OS if the AR has put the flag up because the CR might be closer to D6/A9 to determine the "pressure" and whether it should be punished. The AR might not be able to determine the severity of the pressure but could see OSP and at least likely involvement 3. The CR and AR have mind-melded so the AR knows what the CR would do in case #1 (or #2). Since the CR told the AR, "Offside is all yours; I will go with you", there is no possibility of a wave-down or discussion needed at the half-time or post-game. 4. The CR and AR have not mind-melded and the AR makes the OS call. The CR helps sell the call because he had said, "Offside is all yours; I will go with you". 5. The CR and AR have not mind-melded and the AR makes the no-OS call. The CR helps sell the call because he had said, "Offside is all yours; I will go with you". 6. The CR and AR have not mind-melded and the AR makes the OS call. The CR wave the flag down in spite of having said, "Offside is all yours; I will go with you". A half-time or post-game discussion is probably going to be had. 7. The CR and AR have not mind-melded and the AR makes the no-OS call. The CR makes the OS call anyway (because of #1 above) in spite of having said, "Offside is all yours; I will go with you". CR immediately needs to don best salesman demeanor to sell the call. I would hope cases #3, #4, and #5 would be the right things to do. -- Glenn At 12:07 PM 08/28/2003 -0400, Jeff Caminsky wrote: >All righty...let's see what kind of mess we can make out of this one. > >Last night, I passed my AR assessment for an upgrade. During the course of >feedback from my assessor, we discussed the following situation that >occurred during the match...and I thought it might be worth diverting our >attention from sleeveless jerseys for a moment, to consider it. > >Situation: > >It is late in the game, with the scored tied, 1-1. A5 has the ball, in his >own half of the field. A9 is in an offside position, just past D6. >Assorted teammates of both players are scattered about the field...more or >less thusly: > Half- > way > Line A11 > . > . A10 D7 > . > A6. > . >A5(o) . D4 D6 A9 K > A4 . > . > . A8 D5 > > > >A5 lofts an arching, long ball into the middle of the field, toward the >vicinity of D6, who is the only defender positioned to make a play for it. >As the ball is in flight, A9 comes back to contest for the ball...and >though A9 does not touch the ball, D6 is pressured sufficiently from behind >so that he cannot settle the ball...and, instead, heads it away into the >vicinity of A11 and D7. > >Query: Should the AR raise his flag to signal an offside infraction by >A9...or should he keep his flag down? (Details at 11...) > >Jeff Caminsky >Livonia, Michigan --------------------------------------------------- Glenn R Sogge -- Referee: USSF (& Assignor), NFHS/IHSA (Illinois), USFF State (Futsal), email: [log in to unmask] | http://soccer-ref.quietfire.com Don't wear your federation badge for unaffiliated matches: http://soccer-ref.quietfire.com/generic_badge.html