Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2003, week 4)Back to main SOCREF-L pageJoin or leave SOCREF-LReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Tue, 26 Aug 2003 11:32:24 -0400
Sender:       Discussion of Topics for Soccer Referees <[log in to unmask]>
From:         Michael Cotleur <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      New "NF v. USSF" Memorandum Available.

TO: USA Referees USA referees doing both NF (High school, Rod!) and USSF have a particularly hard time keeping both straight. I work hard to master both sets of laws/rules; nevertheless, I still felt levels of doubt and discomposure from time to time, esp. when challenged by a NF coach, also a travel team coach, on some arcane point, in the heat of battle. So it's a constant struggle to really keep these types of games separate, Especially during NF season, with USSF games each week as well. Dan Heldman's work was invaluable to me (it is flat-out amazing exactly how many differences there are, not always "visible to the naked eye" <g>), but left me still a bit in the dark. I had some difficultly finding a "flow" to his memo, as I think in a different way; and (heretical as it may seem) I thought I might have disagreements, and additional concerns, than as expressed in his work. But until asked (back in June) to give a presentation on this subject (this past Sunday night), I left it at that. Now, for the past few months, I've re-examined this, and have prepared a different analysis, NF Rule-by-rule, complete with cites to every single source for both NF and USSF (Laws, ATR, and Guide To Procedures, where applicable.) In the process, I actually better learned several things (and as a bonus, it turns out, the NF test had extensive questions on precisely these differences! It's six pages (MS Word) despite not attempting to address minor stuff; OTOH, it does include KFTPM as well. If you want it, ask. I've also sent it to Skipper for consideration on his new web site; and to our organization (wmsoa.org) for inclusion there. Even if you've already taken the test, I believe this memo will help you better separate the two types of games, as you go through the season. Enjoy! Michael D. Cotleur, F.E.R.C. Trial Attorney tel. (202) 502-8519 fax. (202) 502-6147 "L'homme est ce qu'il fait." (Andre Malraux)