Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2003, week 4)Back to main SOCREF-L pageJoin or leave SOCREF-LReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Tue, 26 Aug 2003 16:02:21 -0500
Sender:       Discussion of Topics for Soccer Referees <[log in to unmask]>
From:         Sean Roberts <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Virus Alert: w32.sobig.f@mm
Comments: To: Michael Cotleur <[log in to unmask]>

Yep - it's probably every 3 years if I think about it. Why? There are 2 types of updates to consider. The first is the virus definitions that you pay for with the annual fee. The second is the technology updates that come with new versions of the software. Norton (and others) have hooks into all sorts of places in the Operating System, Email clients etc. Every once in a while, the hackers will find some new means to infect which is not being monitored by the current antivirus software. Although some of these infections will install themselves and then get picked up the Anti-Virus software full disk scan (assuming you have that turned on). Others will have their merry way with your disk. It's these new infection types that require the new version of the software. A good example of new infections was the macros virus that came buried inside word documents some 3-4 years ago. Microsoft continues to add on new technology to their OS in order to get people to upgrade. Some of these new technologies are vulnerable to whatever. As MS can't test everything, it;s up to the SW and hacker world to find the gaps (Thanks MS). The latest OS - XP - was meant to incorporate wireless capapbilites in a more user friendly package. While not a new path for virus', it does open the door for hacks where no firewall exists. Who knows what other bonus functionality MS has added (often in preparation for future capapbilities) which are potential hack/virus points. So, to some extent, I've outsourced the problem to Symantec, MacAfee to deal with. They get the reports from the world and are responsible for staying on top of things, hack points, virus defs etc. I'll take responsibility for sorting out their releases and figuring out which one includes true new protection vs add functionality that I may or may not need(i.e. Live Updates) Sean Roberts ------------------------------------------------------- ofc: 817.421.9669 cell: 817.614.7750 ----- Original Message ----- From: "Michael Cotleur" <[log in to unmask]> To: <[log in to unmask]> Cc: <[log in to unmask]> Sent: Tuesday, August 26, 2003 6:03 AM Subject: Re: Virus Alert: w32.sobig.f@mm Sean, You "update Norton every two years"? Seems odd to me; I pay them annually to keep their stuff current; they send me internet upgrades all year long, sometimes >once/week. We have cable; my wife is an MBA prof; just this past Sunday she had almost 300 worms POUR into her MS Outlook a/c. I never see this stuff in my work MS Outlook a/c, but I know someone is using my address, because I occasionally get "out of office replies" (like this morning). Ed Marco - believe me: nothing we can do about That! Michael D. Cotleur, F.E.R.C. Trial Attorney tel. (202) 502-8519 fax. (202) 502-6147 "L'homme est ce qu'il fait." (Andre Malraux)