Previous (more recent) messageNext (less recent) messagePrevious (more recent) in topicNext (less recent) in topicPrevious (more recent) by same authorNext (less recent) by same authorPrevious page (December 2004, week 3)Back to main SOCREF-L pageJoin or leave SOCREF-LReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Sun, 19 Dec 2004 16:22:44 EST
Sender:       Discussion of Topics for Soccer Referees <[log in to unmask]>
From:         CP Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re:       clinic preparation-cps
Comments: To: [log in to unmask]

In a message dated 12/18/04 17:40:11, [log in to unmask] writes: > Any suggestions on how to "bone up" for the task (I do have all > the various instruction modules on CD)?  If there are any Illinois-specific > tips, they would be appreciated as well. > ** Taught the clinic a few times myself, and the two biggest points I offer: ** Know your slides/overheads/CD material cold. Know what's coming next, so if a student asks a question, you can say, "my slides will cover that in the next minute or so" or "Glad you asked, cause my next slide covers exactly that point". Closely allied with that, if there happens to be a slide/CD, overhead that you don't want to use, get rid of it before the class even sees it. ** Keep the flow going. Keep popping new visuals in front of them. There are SO MANY visuals in the entry-level class, if you find yourself talking to the same visual for more than about 90 seconds, you really have to ask yourself why. Glenn, as much love as you show for the game in this forum, allow the class to see that enthusiasm, Be energetic. Shout, yell, tell short stories that emphasize your love for the game and how it's more than the slides and lectures, but it's the spirit of fair play that should prevail in their thoughts and actions. From your postings, it's easy to tell you'll do well. Carl 05 Instructor