Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2006, week 2)Back to main SOCREF-L pageJoin or leave SOCREF-LReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Wed, 11 Jan 2006 20:18:21 -0500
Sender:       Discussion of Topics for Soccer Referees
From:         Jim Gordon <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Caution to both player and coach (MYTH ALERT)

There was the discussion of the coach inciting his player to stand immediately in front of a FK, which led to discussion of cautioning a coach. Then there was an assertion that the referee may not caution a coach. Unless local rules provide otherwise, the LOTG want us not to show cards to coaches. However, we may caution or send away a coach if his actions merit these measures, and such actions would properly be called misconduct. I have never heard of any authoritative guidance that forbids a referee's formal verbal warning (using the word "caution") to a coach or the referee's verbal notice to a coach that he must leave. It is established that the referee may encounter "misconduct or any misdemeanor" by "spectators, officials, players ..." and the referee has the power to deal with and the responsibility to report such misconduct. See LOTG 1997, Law V, para 2 and 2(d) and IBD 4. So, for coaches who misconduct themselves: Cards, no. Caution or dismissal, yes. If we were being extra punctilious, the caution or dismissal might properly be justified in the report as "failure to behave in a responsible manner -- Coach XXXX committed YYYY specific action, which would have constituted misconduct under Law ZZZ." Regards, Jim Gordon