Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2006, week 2)Back to main SOCREF-L pageJoin or leave SOCREF-LReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Tue, 9 May 2006 11:13:32 -0600
Sender:       Discussion of Topics for Soccer Referees
From:         Richard Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Pass Back to Keeper EPL

Two seasons ago the last game in the scottish premier league the referee did exactly as you described. I recall at that time there was this debate on the lack of the word DIRECT in the text of law 12 deliberate kick where as the word DIRECT is in the throw in portion in law 15. I also NEVER saw a statement through any FIFA circular that a deflection by an opponent from a deliberate kick would nullify the illegal handling IF the keeper used his hands. If we look to the advice in the ATR it is clear to me that contact with the ball by an opponent DOES NULLIFY the illegal handling restrictions at least in the USA. Plus JA's site USSF answer (September 23, 2005): As we have stated in the past, a touch by any other player of the ball deliberately kicked by a teammate to the goalkeeper removes any and all restrictions from the goalkeeper on handling the ball. It makes no difference if the ball was played afterwards either deliberately or inadvertently by any other player--who may be a teammate or an opponent. ----- Original Message ----- From: "Jonny (AYSO Los Angeles)" <[log in to unmask]> To: <[log in to unmask]> Sent: Monday, May 08, 2006 11:40 PM Subject: Re: Pass Back to Keeper EPL > > Since no one seems to have seen it, I will describe the situation in an > attempt to get a dialogue going. > > Defender (left back I believe) is approximate at the top corner of the > penalty area when he strikes a firm back pace to the keeper who is inside > the goal > area. On its way back, the ball makes contact with an attacker. It was > not > clear to me as to whether the attacker tried to play teh ball or if it > was a > deflection. > > England's #1 GK, with plenty of time to spare, picks the ball up when he > could have easily trapped the ball and taken his time to play it upfield. > Referee gives a FK to teh attacking team on teh corner of teh goal area. > It is > unclear whether the referee saw the attacker make contact with the ball > and I > have not heard anything further about it. > > Law 12 states, in part, that an IFK is awarded to teh opposing tem if the > GK > "touches the ball with his hands after it has been deliberately kicked to > him by a team-mate." No mention is made of this type of situation in > FIFA's > Q&A. Latest USSF Advice to Referees that I could get my hands on is > silent > also, but may speak to this in a later edition. > > So what do you think? Should teh attacker's touch, deliberate or not, > affect the situation? > > In a message dated 5/8/2006 9:03:06 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time, > [log in to unmask] writes: > > Date: Mon, 8 May 2006 00:07:06 EDT > From: "Jonny (AYSO Los Angeles)" <[log in to unmask]> > Subject: Pass Back to Keeper EPL > > In today's Spurs v W Ham game, England #1 Robinson picks up a pass from a > defender. > > Referee awards a free kick on the corner of the 6 yard area. > > Thoughts from those that saw it please. > > Jonny > > > > > > -- > No virus found in this incoming message. > Checked by AVG Free Edition. > Version: 7.1.392 / Virus Database: 268.5.5/334 - Release Date: 08/05/2006 > >