Previous (more recent) messageNext (less recent) messagePrevious (more recent) in topicNext (less recent) in topicPrevious (more recent) by same authorNext (less recent) by same authorPrevious page (August 2006, week 1)Back to main SOCREF-L pageJoin or leave SOCREF-LReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Fri, 4 Aug 2006 16:55:53 -0400
Sender:       Discussion of Topics for Soccer Referees
From:         Ed Leafe <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Free kicks within striking distance

On Aug 4, 2006, at 12:27 PM, Jeff Greene wrote: > But, I don't see how a caution is justified here. This situation > seems to be similar to the ol' corner kick verbal deception where > the kicker taps the ball a few inches while saying, "you take it, > Betty", whereupon Betty dribbles the ball toward goal. I guess I see the difference in the fact that you are talking to a teammate, and not an opponent or the referee. Faking someone out is part of any sport, but there are some limits as to what is sporting. Would you never caution anyone for verbally deceiving an opponent? The two examples I was given involved a player addressing the other team as if he were a teammate. One was a ball played to Blue with a Red attacker behind. If Red knew the name of the Blue player was 'Joe', he'd yell something like "Let it through, Joe!" or "Dummy it, Joe", hoping that Blue would think it was a teammate and let the ball go through to Red. The other was a ball in Blue's penalty area, with the Blue defender's back to the goal and both Red and Blue chasing the ball. Another Red attacker loudly yells "KEEPER!", imitating the Blue keeper's normal call, causing the Blue defender to back off playing the ball, leaving it for Red. "Asking for 10" is more like that than a feint or a trick play with a teammate. It is also involving the referee in the deception, which some may consider USB in and of itself. But again, it's ITOOTR; my only point was that cautioning such behavior is not without precedent. -- Ed Leafe