Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2007, week 2)Back to main SOCREF-L pageJoin or leave SOCREF-LReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Sat, 12 May 2007 19:08:44 -0500
Sender:       Discussion of Topics for Soccer Referees
From:         Shawn Carroll <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: "Omigod!" is my Co-pilot (verbose)

Having been that ref, the interval sucks. I was missing calls, screwing up calls, and being a perfect example of why players hate refs so much. I was out of my depth, and it showed. I hated that game. My AR's helped out where they could and the game ended w/o major incident, but I had lost my nerve. I phonied up an ankle injury, and replaced the AR on my next game and ran home. It unnerved so much that I took last year off refereeing to decide if I really wanted to do this. I'm back refereeing, but not doing the level of games I once did. Not much else could have been done for this situation. I screwed up, I knew it, the AR's knew it, they helped me out and we got through. -- [log in to unmask] Perl Programmer Soccer Referee On 5/10/07, Tom Walker <[log in to unmask]> wrote: > And what was the halftime interval like? Did you or the other AR dare ask any questions? > > T > > -----Original Message----- > From: [log in to unmask] > To: [log in to unmask] > Sent: Thu, 10 May 2007 8:44 AM > Subject: "Omigod!" is my Co-pilot (verbose) > > > And just what do you do when you find yourself as AR on a game at a > relatively high level and you figure out a few minutes into the match that > not only are the spectators right in their loud comments that your CR is > making strange calls - you yourself have no idea what he is seeing or what > he is going to do next. Drawn like a moth to the flame, you can't help but > get distracted from your AR duties as you watch with morbid fascination to > see what hole gets dug next. > > Some time ago I was such a hapless AR (begging forgiveness from the heavens > if I had ever caused similar distress to my AR's when I was in the center.) > The situation: A quirky approach to the game. In his own world. Poor foul > recognition. Phantom fouls. Obsessiveness about ball spots for FK's way > deep in defense (even after the AR had told a defender a close enough spot > was OK). Missed flags so the AR's had to judge how long (comparatively) to > leave unanswered flags up for various types of signals. Typical that day - > early in the game in front of me, a defender fell of his own accord as he > attempted to tackle an attacker in the box. Immediately thereafter, the > attacker was taken out in a clear foul from behind by a second defender in > the box. As I looked up at the CR to see if he had seen it, he whistled and > called a foul on the attacker for the first incident (the non-foul), and > sprinted back to midfield. The whole game went this way. Aaaaaugggh! > I'm on this team! > > Strategies, anyone? > > Tempting though it was to throw him under the bus and start "asserting" my > read on calls from the line (my ego had noted that there was a decent crowd > and sophisticated coaches), I resolved, right or wrong, to do what I could > to buttress the CR's credibility so the game did not devolve into a swirling > flush to the sewer, with three doomed little referee heads bobbing in the > vortex. I needed to support calls I didn't entirely agree with, while still > trying to help him get it right. Since he was quick to signal most out of > play without eye contact with me anyway, I slowed my flag slightly so that I > would mirror his calls and not contradict them. I tried to be noisy on my > flags. I quickly entered the field with a verbal "I'll spot it" for DFK's in > my quadrant so he could clear from potential dissent, but I made eye contact > with the CR before approving any FK spot (once bitten . . .) I did the > thumbs up signal and even verbalized "good call" on close calls in my area. > I talked to players so they would engage me not him. At the half, I tried > to suggest areas for second half focus without being overtly negative. I > tuned out the sideline commentary. Long day. I don't think the game > result was altered, but it was deeply unsatisfying. > > This was an evaluated but not assessed game. I guess I was "lucky" (?) > since the evaluator literally unloaded on our team and did not ask me what I > thought. I bit my tongue and went on, but visited with the powers-that-be > later to voice my concerns. > > Question 1 > > What do you do from the line to help the game if you have a (1) struggling > or (2) "lost" CR? > > Question 2 > > If you are being (1) assessed or (2) evaluated as AR, how candid should you > be as to your concerns in the post-game? > > Bill Liedtke > OKC OK 07 > ________________________________________________________________________ > AOL now offers free email to everyone. Find out more about what's free from AOL at AOL.com. >