Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2009, week 2)Back to main SOCREF-L pageJoin or leave SOCREF-LReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Tue, 10 Mar 2009 12:10:01 -0500
Sender:       Discussion of Topics for Soccer Referees
From:         Glenn R Sogge <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Card or Quick Restart?

At 11:49 AM 3/10/2009, Patrick Duffy wrote: >I could always tell which teams had newly minted D-license >coaches, having taken the class myself and been told that we should have >the players stand in front of the ball to delay free kicks by the >opponents. (Yes, the state head coach was telling the newer coaches to >have their players cheat.) I have considered journeying a little ways along the coaches training path, just to have a better idea of where coaches (in general) are coming from. I'm not interested in becoming a coach but more knowledge is always a better thing. And also to see how much of the LOTG is actually taught to coaches and how it is done. I can imagine myself, however, having a hard time biting my tongue in the situation Patrick describes. I've always had some coaches in the entry level classes I've taught and I'm sure it isn't always comfortable for them. But they are probably already among the better coaches if they're taking the time for a weekend of getting to really know the rules. I hope taking a coaching course would help me be a better referee. So, when it comes to Law related issues in a coaching class --- how should one approach them? Do you identify yourself as a referee and/or instructor from the get-go? Will not wanting to be a coach but wanting to understand more of their universe be seen as a waste of their time? TIA and definitely For The Good Of The Game ... -- Glenn