Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2009, week 4)Back to main SOCREF-L pageJoin or leave SOCREF-LReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Mon, 23 Mar 2009 14:56:20 -0700
Sender:       Discussion of Topics for Soccer Referees
From:         Patrick Duffy <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: What if the assessor gets it wrong?

I think the normal process during the debrief, if the AR has done something outside the normal parameters, is for the assessor to ask the AR "What were your pre-game instructions from the referee regarding X?" If the pre-game instruction was, for example, don't call anything in the penalty area, then the assessor turns to the referee to ask "Why did you give that instruction?" and it goes from there. If no calls in the penalty area wasn't the CR's instruction, then the AR should be asked what he/she saw and we can go from there. If they didn't see what happened, what was their position, where were their eyes looking? If they had a good reason to be directing their attention elsewhere, then, fine, there really isn't anything more to say about what was missed. "Open your eyes" is not valuable feedback to an official. Patrick Duffy -----Original Message----- From: Discussion of Topics for Soccer Referees [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of doug smith Sent: Monday, March 23, 2009 2:35 PM To: [log in to unmask] Subject: Re: What if the assessor gets it wrong? I guess I see a distinction between an AR challenging (gently) an invalid instruction in the pre-game, and ignoring an instruction after the match starts. I would much rather take an extra minute before we start to get us all on the same page; if an AR doesn't (or can't) understand me, or the referee insists on doing things invalidly, I have the option of sending her away, or walking away (if I'm the AR). I don't have the option of proceeding when we are at cross purposes. In that vein, I have sensed an undercurrent, during these discussions of a difficult assessment, of trying to affix or deflect blame. If one or more of the referees has screwed up, the key issue should be why, not who. If the pre-game was inadequate, that is the area to fix; if it is referee-AR communication, then that is; if an AR has ignored the referee's instruction, I hope I am a good enough assessor to discern that without the referee pointing fingers. I would much rather have the referees engendering trust in (and trustworthiness with) each other than scoring brownie points off each other in the assessment. But that could be just me. Doug Smith USSF 06 USSF Instructor USSF Assessor ex-NISOA NF Oregon > Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2009 12:54:33 -0700 > From: [log in to unmask] > Subject: Re: What if the assessor gets it wrong? > To: [log in to unmask] > > There are some instructions from a CR that I would not follow. > 1. "Don't call any fouls in the penalty area." Of course the usual admonitions of giving the CR a chance depending on his position and point of view as well as eye contact would apply. I have had a national instructor/assessor tell that this is simply an incorrect instruction and the CR would fail an assessment for giving out such an instruction. > 2. "Don't mark down misconduct or goals." In these cases I mentally note who and what happened and would write them down at an appropriate stoppage. This is based on personal experience where my CR didn't realize he gave out two yellows and didn't give the red until I got his attention to tell him what happened. > > ...larry > > -----Original Message----- > From: Discussion of Topics for Soccer Referees > [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Ron Leedy > Sent: Monday, March 23, 2009 12:06 PM > To: [log in to unmask] > Subject: Re: What if the assessor gets it wrong? > > Neil Montgomery wrote --> > > > - he didn't like your instructions at all and just went his own way > > How does an AR leaving the world of "assisting" and enters the world of "insisting" become the CR fault in his pre-game? I don't always like the instruction I get from my CR but I always follow them. Or try my best. If there is an instruction that doesn't follow the GTP than I ask about it but he is the boss during the game. I will assist and support him as a teammate. Only when we are away from the players do I comment or become quizzical about why he made a call or refused to apply the LOTG. > > Ron Leedy > > > __________ NOD32 3955 (20090323) Information __________ > > This message was checked by NOD32 antivirus system. > http://www.eset.com _________________________________________________________________ Get quick access to your favorite MSN content with Internet Explorer 8. http://ie8.msn.com/microsoft/internet-explorer-8/en-us/ie8.aspx?ocid=B03 7MSN55C0701A