Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2009, week 4)Back to main SOCREF-L pageJoin or leave SOCREF-LReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Mon, 23 Mar 2009 18:32:15 -0400
Sender:       Discussion of Topics for Soccer Referees
From:         Ralph  Bigio <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: What if the assessor gets it wrong?

It wasn’t a case of AR2 doing her own thing or insisting rather than assisting. It also wasn’t a non-standard instruction. I think it was just nerves and/or inexperience. Here’s what actually happened. When discussing end-line calls, I included “if the ball crosses the end line on your side of the goal but you’re not sure who touched it last, put your flag straight up and I will make the call”. I gave a similar instruction for touch-line calls. AR2 was only in her third season, so I added that there should be a flag *every* time the ball goes out of play, either direction or straight up, according on circumstances. Before the game, AR2 had helped me with the player check-ins, and we chatted informally about the game, her experience, and her ambitions. She was 17, in her third season as a ref, had plans to advance, and was working several games in that weekend’s tournament. She was relaxed and chatty, so I think she was comfortable working with me. Around the 20th minute, players were challenging for the ball in AR2’s corner. I was at the penalty arc. I saw the ball cross the end line, so I looked for her flag but it stayed down. Players hesitated, then resumed playing, and a few seconds later it crossed the touch line in her corner. This time she signalled TI. I went over to her and quietly asked if the ball had crossed the end line. She said it had, but she wasn’t sure who had touched it last. I quietly reminded her to put her flag straight up in such cases, then I signalled CK and resumed my position. There were no further incidents, and she followed that instruction afterward. The rest of her game was fine - good eye contact, good positioning, and good signals. Under Teamwork, the assessor’s written report said “You did have a pre-game instruction with one of your AR, unfortunately the other had a game previous your match and had to rush, so no time for a long briefing. You place one of your AR in a delicate position when you went to see her, maybe if it was touched in your pre-game instruction by just asking her if the ball is out of play with a flag straight up.“. I look for positives in this comment as some of you suggested. I don’t overuse the delay-restart-to-consult-AR thing so I wouldn’t change my game-time response. In this case it was necessary in order to get the correct restart and to make sure AR2 understood what I wanted her to do. Even though I’m conscientious about my pre-game, tune it to my audience, and observe the ARs’ responses while I'm talking, I’m sure I could improve it. But I got more information about the quality of my pre-game from AR2’s non-call than I did from the assessor’s comment. Again I should note that his comments in other areas *were* helpful, and that he correctly noted a couple of problems & bad habits that I was able to correct in the next day’s game. I got good value from this assessment and noted that fact in my comments to the assessor and to the Referee Development Committee. I don’t want to leave the impression that I am complaining about the whole assessment. It was only this Teamwork paragraph that irked me. And one more minor detail. ARs were not part of the post game discussion - they both had other game assignments. BTW - You mentioned that the US scoring system is changing. It has been changing here in Canada too, although I don’t know if the change is nation-wide yet. Each referee is now graded according to the standard *for that level*. A score of 70 means you met the standard for *your* level, regardless of the level. Above 70 means you exceeded the standard, and below 70 means you did not meet it. Ralph On Mon, 23 Mar 2009 14:56:20 -0700, Patrick Duffy <[log in to unmask]> wrote: >I think the normal process during the debrief, if the AR has done >something outside the normal parameters, is for the assessor to ask the >AR "What were your pre-game instructions from the referee regarding X?" >If the pre-game instruction was, for example, don't call anything in the >penalty area, then the assessor turns to the referee to ask "Why did you >give that instruction?" and it goes from there. If no calls in the >penalty area wasn't the CR's instruction, then the AR should be asked >what he/she saw and we can go from there. If they didn't see what >happened, what was their position, where were their eyes looking? If >they had a good reason to be directing their attention elsewhere, then, >fine, there really isn't anything more to say about what was missed. >"Open your eyes" is not valuable feedback to an official. > >Patrick Duffy > >-----Original Message----- >From: Discussion of Topics for Soccer Referees >[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of doug smith >Sent: Monday, March 23, 2009 2:35 PM >To: [log in to unmask] >Subject: Re: What if the assessor gets it wrong? > > > >I guess I see a distinction between an AR challenging (gently) an >invalid instruction in the pre-game, and ignoring an instruction after >the match starts. I would much rather take an extra minute before we >start to get us all on the same page; if an AR doesn't (or can't) >understand me, or the referee insists on doing things invalidly, I have >the option of sending her away, or walking away (if I'm the AR). I >don't have the option of proceeding when we are at cross purposes. > > > >In that vein, I have sensed an undercurrent, during these discussions of >a difficult assessment, of trying to affix or deflect blame. If one or >more of the referees has screwed up, the key issue should be why, not >who. If the pre-game was inadequate, that is the area to fix; if it is >referee-AR communication, then that is; if an AR has ignored the >referee's instruction, I hope I am a good enough assessor to discern >that without the referee pointing fingers. > > > >I would much rather have the referees engendering trust in (and >trustworthiness with) each other than scoring brownie points off each >other in the assessment. But that could be just me. > > > >Doug Smith > >USSF 06 USSF Instructor USSF Assessor > >ex-NISOA NF Oregon > > >> Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2009 12:54:33 -0700 >> From: [log in to unmask] >> Subject: Re: What if the assessor gets it wrong? >> To: [log in to unmask] >> >> There are some instructions from a CR that I would not follow. >> 1. "Don't call any fouls in the penalty area." Of course the usual >admonitions of giving the CR a chance depending on his position and >point of view as well as eye contact would apply. I have had a national >instructor/assessor tell that this is simply an incorrect instruction >and the CR would fail an assessment for giving out such an instruction. >> 2. "Don't mark down misconduct or goals." In these cases I mentally >note who and what happened and would write them down at an appropriate >stoppage. This is based on personal experience where my CR didn't >realize he gave out two yellows and didn't give the red until I got his >attention to tell him what happened. >> >> ...larry >> >> -----Original Message----- >> From: Discussion of Topics for Soccer Referees >> [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Ron Leedy >> Sent: Monday, March 23, 2009 12:06 PM >> To: [log in to unmask] >> Subject: Re: What if the assessor gets it wrong? >> >> Neil Montgomery wrote --> >> >> > - he didn't like your instructions at all and just went his own way >> >> How does an AR leaving the world of "assisting" and enters the world >of "insisting" become the CR fault in his pre-game? I don't always like >the instruction I get from my CR but I always follow them. Or try my >best. If there is an instruction that doesn't follow the GTP than I ask >about it but he is the boss during the game. I will assist and support >him as a teammate. Only when we are away from the players do I comment >or become quizzical about why he made a call or refused to apply the >LOTG. >> >> Ron Leedy >> >> >> __________ NOD32 3955 (20090323) Information __________ >> >> This message was checked by NOD32 antivirus system. >> http://www.eset.com > >_________________________________________________________________ >Get quick access to your favorite MSN content with Internet Explorer 8. >http://ie8.msn.com/microsoft/internet-explorer-8/en-us/ie8.aspx?ocid=B03 >7MSN55C0701A