Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2009, week 2)Back to main SOCREF-L pageJoin or leave SOCREF-LReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Wed, 13 May 2009 09:49:27 -0400
Sender:       Discussion of Topics for Soccer Referees
From:         [log in to unmask]
Subject:      Re: advantage nullified by offside -- now what?

Maybe it's me, but I don't see how it matters which player was offside if both were.? Either way, the attackers cannot be allowed to benefit from being offside, so you go with the call.? And there is no advantage if either one of the two was offside; they have already broken the rule. Now, having said this, I think you do need to think about whether or not the fouled player was onside.? If he was, then your foul call trumps the offside, and you take back the advantage call and give the free kick.? Obviously, it must have been close in your mind as to whether or not the fouled player was onside, or you wouldn't even be thinking about which player your AR was indicating.? Of course, there is the third choice after you blow the whistle.? You can ASK your AR which player he was indicating, and then choose how to restart based on his answer...either free kick to the defense of at the spot of the offside, or free kick to the attackers to punish the foul. Regards Jim MacQueen Akron, OH -----Original Message----- From: Christopher Seiwald <[log in to unmask]> To: [log in to unmask] Sent: Wed, 13 May 2009 12:53 am Subject: advantage nullified by offside -- now what? This has to be an old song, but.... There I am, seeing the late tackle but the ball is already sailing forward to a forward with a good opportunity. I'm doing the big arm sweep, calling out "advantage!" and I look over and see my AR with his (offside) flag up. Crap. So how do you unwind this? It seems that if it wasn't the fouled player offside but rather the forward he was passing to, you really should rewind to the foul rather than letting your botched advantage call ruin it. No? But how would your AR even let you know whether he was calling offside on the fouled player or on the forward player? Should the AR stick with the offside mechanic if the fouled player was offside, but switch to a flag wave and direction to indicate "I would have signaled offside on the forward, but since we were playing advantage I'm now suggesting you go back to the foul"? Yes, this happened to me this weekend. Unfortunately, I was so impressed with my advantage call that it took me a long time (a few touches) to see the offside flag. By then I had no choice but to go with offside. Christopher USSF 7 Alameda, CA