Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2009, week 5)Back to main SOCREF-L pageJoin or leave SOCREF-LReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Tue, 29 Dec 2009 14:08:50 -0800
Sender:       Discussion of Topics for Soccer Referees
From:         Patrick Duffy <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: AR Responsibility/Authority

Just for clarification, there are no "FIFA assessors." FIFA will appoint "inspectors" for a tournament, but that is only an appointment for that event and it is not a permanent designation. Since you mention that this is a high school game, NFHS does not describe AR mechanics at all, other than for position during the throw in. Not all USSF assessors are suppose to listen to the pre-game. "I'll see the teamwork on the field, or lack thereof." (For high school, of course, any evaluator procedures, reports, etc. are strictly local policy.) Generally, it is recommended that the assessor listen in for lower level referees, who may need help with developing teamwork through their pre-game. Yes, I have discussed throw-ins in a pre-game, but mostly on games where the pre-game may be 30 minutes or so. Patrick Duffy -----Original Message----- From: Discussion of Topics for Soccer Referees [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Lawrence Savell Sent: Tuesday, December 29, 2009 1:37 PM To: [log in to unmask] Subject: Re: AR Responsibility/Authority Thanks for all the comments. The assessor was actually a FIFA assessor (formally?) and was just making a general comment. Actually, even thought it was a HS BV tournament championship game, the game wasn't too physical and went well. I think the teams tend to get tired from their semi-final games which I think are usually more challenging than the final. :-) The assessor did not hear our pre-game. Our crew had already done a match together and concentrated on crew communications, signaling and properly handling substitutions. I don't believe I have ever been in a pre-game where the throw-in has ever been discussed. I think that everyone typically feels that we know what we are doing and it simply isn't a big deal. By the way, the assessor did make several positive comments about holding the off side flag and some positioning suggestions for the center. ...larry -----Original Message----- From: Discussion of Topics for Soccer Referees [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of doug smith Sent: Tuesday, December 29, 2009 1:00 PM To: [log in to unmask] Subject: Re: AR Responsibility/Authority Lawrence Savell writes: << During an assessment the other day, the assessor suggested that as AR I ought to make sure that the throw-in comes from the right spot on the touch line. I usually point to the spot where the player should take the throw-in when a ball is kicked far from touch and the player is bringing the ball back to play. If the player ignores my direction and takes the throw-in some 5-10 yards from where I point, should the AR flag this as a bad throw-in or is it really only the CR's responsibility for calling the play back?>> As several other responders have mentioned, this depends on what was discussed in the pre-game. My take (assuming that the assessor listened in on the pre-game, which is part of her job) is that the assessor was probing for exactly what each member of the referee team heard in the pre-game - presumably, how the referee team performed in this (these?) situation(s) did not correlate with what the assessor heard prior to the match. One of the usual areas for improvement in an assessed match is teamwork - we tend to learn the higher levels of inter-referee rapport somewhat later in our careers, just because those levels can't be accessed until a large majority of the lower level skills (staying with the 2nd-to-last defender 100% of the time, e.g.) are thoroughly ingrained in one's game, and there is surplus processing power to apply to those items that are 'frills' in a U-11 match and make or break the team in a tournament final. (How's that for a run-on sentence?) Doug Smith _________________________________________________________________ Hotmail: Powerful Free email with security by Microsoft. http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/171222986/direct/01/ __________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4726 (20091229) __________ The message was checked by ESET Smart Security. http://www.eset.com __________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4726 (20091229) __________ The message was checked by ESET Smart Security. http://www.eset.com