Previous (more recent) messageNext (less recent) messagePrevious (more recent) in topicNext (less recent) in topicPrevious (more recent) by same authorNext (less recent) by same authorPrevious page (May 2010, week 3)Back to main SOCREF-L pageJoin or leave SOCREF-LReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Wed, 19 May 2010 08:09:24 -0400
Sender:       Discussion of Topics for Soccer Referees
From:         Morten Mikkelsen <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Help! I'm CR for a U11G game Saturday (!)

No way, that's MY title and I am not giving it up without a fight :) On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 7:25 AM, Sandy and Ferenc Korompai <[log in to unmask] > wrote: > Be prepared to be anointed by a parent as the worst referee ever. > Ferenc > ----- Original Message ----- > From: Chris Mohr<mailto:[log in to unmask]> > To: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> > Sent: Tuesday, May 18, 2010 10:50 PM > Subject: Help! I'm CR for a U11G game Saturday (!) > > > OK, I'm in my 14th year of refereeing with many hundreds of games under my > belt, including bunches of U11 girls games, both rec and competitive level > (which this one is). It's at an end-of-season tournament down near the > beach in Wilmington, NC, and I'm looking forward to this particular game > and > this weekend. > > ONE PROBLEM: I haven't done any girl's games this young in quite awhile. > This spring, I've been almost exclusively doing adult games and older-age > boy's competitive-level soccer, with also some girl's high school games > and > boy's middle school games, with a tiny sprinkling of sectarian girl's > middle > school games. I do worry a bit that for the past several months, my sense > of foul recognition and game management have been tuned almost exclusively > for a much older, much more physical level of play. Now you might ask why > not just import the sensibilities I used in that handful of girls middle > school games, but that's barely rec-level soccer, whereas this game > Saturday > is girls who are young competitve-level-players in training with a year of > competitive-level play under their belt, in particular used to > significantly > more contact and physical play than the middle school level. > > And so, it's going to be fun, but a bit tricky to feel may way to the > proper > level for this game, seeking that sweet spot between allowing too much > physical play and too little. At least there won't be any girls out there > with colorful permanent tattoos running the length of one arm, like there > were last Sunday (see: the thread about adult players and concussions). > > Chris Mohr > -- Morten Mikkelsen 610-248-5655