Previous (more recent) messageNext (less recent) messagePrevious (more recent) in topicNext (less recent) in topicPrevious (more recent) by same authorNext (less recent) by same authorPrevious page (June 2010, week 1)Back to main SOCREF-L pageJoin or leave SOCREF-LReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Sun, 6 Jun 2010 15:31:08 -0400
Sender:       Discussion of Topics for Soccer Referees
From:         Ed Marco <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Stats on a Full 90 Match (was World Cup referees outrun
              players)

No, this number at the international level is very real although not every match. My own GPS watch would read just about 8 miles on a pro match on a smaller size field. 6 miles is probably the average for older age youth matches on a normal field. Making 10 miles on an international is a very real number on a full size field. My guess is with the new positioning being instructed the numbers will be shorter but intensity higher. Ed Marco On Jun 6, 2010, at 2:19 PM, Rich Bernat <[log in to unmask]> wrote: > The line about covering 12 miles in a 90 minute match seems a tad > high. > That is on pace for a 3:15 marathon pace. I consider myself an > accomplished & fit referee. My Garmin is the non-gps (foot-Pod) > style so > the calabration is not as accurate as a GPS but depending on the > style of > match and field size/type, I log between 6 and 7.5 miles in a full 90 > competitve youth and adult matches. None of my assessments have ever > commented on lack of movement or speed. As a reference, I am an > upper > 40's State 6 referee... working on my 5 upgrade. > > As an AR, I usually get between 3 to 3.75 miles. > > Does anyone have any stats that indicate they are close to the 10-12 > miles/match (non-O/T)? I realize Brian and others are elite > athletes and > reffing on a level & stage that many of us dream about. I certainly > respect the commitment/effort it takes to get there... even on our > National refs are an impressive milestone to achieve. > > I wonder if the author of the article took some license with > formulating > the number. Maybe took one number and extrapolated it out. Maybe > they > used numbers from a full-90 O/T match. > > Rich