Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2011, week 2)Back to main SOCREF-L pageJoin or leave SOCREF-LReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Sat, 10 Sep 2011 07:54:38 -0400
Sender:       Discussion of Topics for Soccer Referees
From:         Ed Marco <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Notice I received from OSI regarding the credit card fraud
              issue

Below is what I received from US Soccer: " From the U.S. Soccer Communications Center: Dear Referee, We are writing to update you on the recent security breach experienced by Official Sports International. On Sept. 6, Official Sports informed U.S. Soccer of unauthorized access to a database containing the personal information of some of Official Sportsą website customers. The sophistication of the breach made it difficult to determine the exact dates of attack, therefore OSI has notified its web customers to be extremely cautious. This breach affects only customers that ordered via Official Sportsą website. Customer information from telephone, fax or mail orders was not affected. On Sept. 6 Official Sports started to email all customers who had purchased from their website since Nov. 1, 2010. Official Sports notified customers of the breach and asked them to call their card-issuing bank to report the possibility of unauthorized access to their information. Official Sports also asked them to routinely monitor their credit reports. To make this easier for them Official Sports will be offering a year of free credit monitoring to all potentially affected customers. Information about this credit monitoring service will be mailed shortly. Everyone will also be receiving notification in the mail regarding the breach, plus a discount offer for their next order. Official Sports notified all three major credit bureaus - Equifax, Experian and TransUnion ­ and also filed a police report. Official Sportsą website is currently down while further investigations are made into the attack. We regret the inconvenience you have had with ordering from the Official Sports website. We have been in constant communication with Official Sports and they have informed us that this security breach has been corrected and they will remain vigilant in their ongoing efforts to make your online shopping completely safe. Thank you, U.S. Soccer Federation" For whatever this really means. Ed Marco > At least *someone* has it, whew. Nothing here. > > My SRA did email me on Sep 5 at 2:10 PM. I already knew because of SOCREF-L > though. > > I did not get this OSI notice they claim to have sent out. They REALLY need > to check who they sent it to. This is not a spam filter issue... there are > lots of people who do not know. (Obviously none of them are on SOCREF-L) > > William Guynes > > > On Fri, Sep 9, 2011 at 2:10 PM, Richard Mabry <[log in to unmask]>wrote: > >> I received an email notice from OSI on Sep 7 at 1:09pm >> >> >> On Fri, Sep 9, 2011 at 11:00 AM, William Guynes <[log in to unmask]> wrote: >> >>> I also have not received any email from OSI about the breach. Even though >>> their announcement implies I should have. >>> >>> There are tons of threads all over saying the same thing. NO ONE has >>> received any email about this without asking OSI first or going to >>> Facebook. >>> >>> I did business with them as recently as August 20. >>> I checked my spam folder, just in case. Nothing at all. No contact. >>> >>> William Guynes >>> >>> >>> On Thu, Sep 8, 2011 at 2:45 PM, seniorpartners < >>> [log in to unmask]> wrote: >>> >>>> No notice from OSI on my end, either - since we appear to be keeping >>> score. >>>> >>>> I worked at a company ten years ago that had this happen, and there was >>> no >>>> legal requirement (things may have changed), but we deemed it best to >> be >>>> proactive and contact our entire customer list so they'd be aware and >>> could >>>> take precautions. >>>> >>>> I'm not angry at OSI because they're been hacked; it's the price of >> doing >>>> business (for them and us) online. I am ticked at their lack of >>>> communication: if I was just a run-of-the-mill official and not on this >>> list >>>> (or didn't "Like" them on facebook), I never would have known. Failure >> to >>>> own up is a mistake for us on the pitch, and that type of hiding isn't >>> one I >>>> expect out of a company that markets to referees. >>>> >>>> Aaron Propes >>>> Minnesota >>>> >>> >>