Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2011, week 2)Back to main SOCREF-L pageJoin or leave SOCREF-LReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Wed, 12 Oct 2011 13:17:35 -0400
Sender:       Discussion of Topics for Soccer Referees
From:         Calvin G Perry <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: We're in for it now -- casts

Specifically available at New England Foam Products in Windsor CT - ask for Tammy Phillips CGP Calvin G Perry, O.D., F.A.A.O. 25 Timothy Drive Andover MA 01810 (H) 978.475.5924 (C) 978.204.3816 -----Original Message----- From: Discussion of Topics for Soccer Referees [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Phil Dillard Sent: Tuesday, October 11, 2011 22:47 To: [log in to unmask] Subject: Re: We're in for it now -- casts I hate casts. I don't understand why coaches don't give the cast a thought until they meet the referee. Recently I was presented with just a plain cast. The coach's tone suggested that he thought it was also a dumb idea, but he was passing it on to me. I have seen casts wrapped in paper, t-shirts, 1 layer of small bubble wrap and towels. I have never seen a cast that was properly wrapped (although the last towel came close). Most coaches insist that the cast is properly wrapped...even if it is tape and paper. Once, I let a U-little player hit me on the knee with his padded cast and it really hurt. Just because the NFHS rule book spells out the type and amount of padding, doesn't really help matters. The coaches still want the players in the game and they think that just about anything will do as padding. Here is what the rule book says: ...must be padded with a closed-cell, slow-recovery foam padding no less than 1/2 inch thick. I've looked around and can not find that type of padding. I did find a web site that sells a padded sleeve that fits the bill http://thecastprotector.com/?gclid=CJrIsqSJ4qsCFQJ-5QodQl22HQ Of course, this would require forethought! Phil in Lynchburg, VA, USA