Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2011, week 4)Back to main SOCREF-L pageJoin or leave SOCREF-LReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:   Wed, 28 Dec 2011 16:33:22 -0500
Sender:   Discussion of Topics for Soccer Referees <[log in to unmask]>
From:   Gil Weber <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:   Re: Nobby Stiles, say what?

On Wednesday, December 28, 2011 04:03:07 PM you wrote: > 1966 WC ENG-FRA match. > “I did a bad tackle on Simon... I didn’t get booked by the referee, I > got booked by a FIFA official from Northern Ireland who was in the > stand” This, before the use Y/R cards and days before the Charlton > brothers were – unbeknownst to them – cautioned in the ENG-ARG game. > Afterwards Ken Aston suggested the use of cards to bridge the > communication gap. We still caution and SHOW the card and not GIVE > it. Happy New Year y’all! > > Ferenc

Speaking of unbeknownst...

Back around 1976 or so I was playing in Southern California. I received a caution in a match. It happens.

However.... (there is ALWAYS a however), following the game and unbeknownst to me or any of my teammates the referee in his infinite wisdom (though by what authority unknown) issued a **team caution** and reported every player on my team to the league.

That meant a second yellow card for me, which the referee reported as a send-off.

The league in its infinite wisdom (or lack thereof) suspended me for a game for having been sent off (which I did not know had happened until later in the week when the team manager was informed).

Creative interpretation of the LOTG to say the least. The league did not overturn the **team caution** or my suspension.

Oh, well...

Gil