Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2011, week 4)Back to main SOCREF-L pageJoin or leave SOCREF-LReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Thu, 22 Dec 2011 20:13:25 -0500
Sender:       Discussion of Topics for Soccer Referees
From:         Ben Rudgers <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Dutch Cup Anarchy at Ajax

On Thu, 22 Dec 2011 16:40:22 -0500, Ed Marco <[log in to unmask]> wrote: >Not so in this competition. This Is a professional match where those types of "little things" do not matter at all. Unless the spectator was going onto the field to tell the keeper that the Laws say he cannot wear his yellow jersey and if he was wearing a different color the goal scored moments before would have never happened. > > >Ed Marco > Hi Ed, It may be a slippery slope. I suspect, "This is a professional match..." is exactly the same argument that the goalkeeper's teammates were advancing to protest his send off. And that the coach used to pull his team. When combined with, "This isn't a professional match..." (which unsurprisingly I hear from time to time), almost any behavior at any level can be safely ignored. My comment, of course, was partially tongue in cheek. On the other hand, I am reminded of the Broken Window Theory in so far as perhaps the referee might have better sold his "by the book call" had he projected himself as being by the book before the game...or rather, that the idea might be something worth considering myself. Thanks for the thoughtful response. Ben For further reading [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broken_windows_theory]