Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2012, week 3)Back to main SOCREF-L pageJoin or leave SOCREF-LReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional fontLog in
Date:         Wed, 21 Mar 2012 17:03:03 -0400
Sender:       Discussion of Topics for Soccer Referees
From:         Steve Meyers <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: "Shake my head" questions...

Neil I think I remember that post. I believe that the problem is one the USSF has to deal with. In other words most states (from what I have heard) have a good samaritan law which would allow someone who administered first aid to be held harmless, assuming that he did not tell everyone he was a doctor. However, I think the issue becomes complicated when we are officiating as we are acting as `agents' for USSF soccer. Because of this they (more than you) have a problem with you treating a player, I believe. Refer to this link; http://www.ussoccer.com/about/federation-services/resource-center/legal/are-referees-independent-contractors.aspx Thanks Steve On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 4:46 PM, Neil Montgomery <[log in to unmask]> wrote: > I don't completely agree with Jim Allen's response w/r/t providing medical > aid to an injured player. > > There are obviously circumstances in which the referee might very well be > the person in the best position to provide emergency assistance. > > For example, suppose a goal kick is about to be taken and you notice a > player on the ground. You soon realize the matter is extremely serious. > > If you are fortunate enough to be refereeing an FA Cup quarter-final, by all > means allow the professionals to look after things. > > But in your 4th division men's rec league with no subs, no spectators, at > Bumblescrew Park Field #3, maybe the referee is the guy who took the first > aid course the previous year at work and knows you give chest compressions > to the tune of "Stayin' Alive" while someone else calls 911 on their cell phone. > > Although the circumstances are severely limited, they can exist and it would > be unfortunate if some referee knew what to do but felt constrained by > nonexistent rules about what a referee can and cannot do. > > Oddly enough I gave the correct answer to this question exactly 10 years ago > tomorrow, which was a repeat of another time I gave the correct answer back > in 1998. > > http://pete.uri.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0910B&L=SOCREF-L&P=R1156&D=0&I=-3&X=027BEC1E7B785AEE57&Y=neilm%40mie.utoronto.ca > > Neil